Monday, August 14, 2006

Another UFO Morphs Into a WIP!


Hooray! I am in the home stretch on Frances Burwell, an historical sampler reproduction by Joanne Harvey in conjunction with Williamsburg.

Here is what I have accomplished since finishing Sunflower House. The floral band and the house and bird are all done in reversible cross stitch.









This is a close-up of the house. I hope to really crank through the end of this sampler and get it framed for myself.

This past weekend I took Max to the beach on Saturday and it was blessedly not crowded and it was a little on the cool side. But it was gloriously sunny and we were there for 3 hours before I even realized it! Max always lets me know when he's ready to go home - he starts piling his toys into the wagon and then gets in. What a cutie!


On Sunday we all went to the Zoo and amusement park in York, Maine. I have to say that the zoo part was depressing. It's sad to see these beautiful animals in these very small cages. They're clean, but small and do not look like a natural environment. Sad, sad. The best part for us was the duck pond with hundreds of ducks. Max liked feeding them. And the butterfly santuary. One of the baboons took an instant and violent dislike to Max. He was sitting there placidly looking at all the kids until mine walked up. They he started rushing the cage and shouting. It was kind of scary. As soon as we left, he shut up and sat back down. It was weird. We didn't see all of the animals because Max was tired and cranky as we had arrived late. He was very interested in the kiddie rides, but whenever we tried to put him on one, he freaked out. Maybe he will be more interested next year, but I don't know if I want to go back again. I've never been to a zoo before, are most of them like this? Has anyone been to a nice zoo they'd like to recommend?

8 Comments:

Blogger Anna van Schurman said...

If you ever go to San Diego, you have to see the San Diego zoo. The Wild Animal Park is also worth a visit. On this coast, the National Zoo and The Bronx Zoo are both really good if memory serves.

12:27 PM  
Blogger Leslie aka zoeandcooper said...

Congrats on reviving this UFO. It looks so pretty. I love all the vintage style colors in it!

12:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You definitely need to finish this piece. It is lovely.

2:29 PM  
Blogger Susan @ Real Girl Designs said...

What a lovely piece! You'll have it finished in no time!

I'm sorry that your visit to the zoo wasn't much fun :(

5:01 PM  
Blogger Singular Stitches said...

Very pretty! I tried to google it but couldn't find a picture of what the finished design will look like. Would you mind providing a link to a site that displays it or display a scan of the finished design from the chart?

Thanks!

6:17 PM  
Blogger The Queen's Stitch said...

Here is a link to the kit, available through Em-Lis.

http://www.emlis.com/examplarery.htm

In zoo news, I just heard today that the York Wild Kingdom will close after this summer to make way for condos and a shopping center. I hope the animals go to good homes!

8:05 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

What a pretty sampler. I can't believe its reversible! I agree with Anna, the San Diego Zoo is fantastic. I like zoos where the animals are more in a "natural" habitat (ie, not in cages).

11:13 AM  
Blogger Sharon said...

That sampler is going to beautiful when you complete it! The colors are so pretty!

12:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


<